Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sydney Bernard Smith


I was sorry to hear that Sydney Bernard Smith died a fortnight ago, he did me a great service.

He published some very early poems of mine in a broadsheet published in association with Sligo Arts Festival and later took some time to criticise my poetry. I think he was disappointed with what he saw.

We met up in the International Bar where he took a red biro to my efforts. By the time he finished there were red lines through most of it. Initially discouraging, (he said that my only saving grace was that I was so new to writing), it turned out to be the most valuable few hours tuition I ever got.

His criticisms were crisp, accurate and flawlessly observed; he left me with a clear understanding of the need to be concise and efficient, to avoid waffle and pointless adornment. He left me with an insight into the value of ruthless editing. He did this with authority but without superiority.

You can download 2 of his books from the Irish Literary Revival website http://www.irishliteraryrevival.com/

2 comments:

Sabne Raznik said...

Sounds like a great poet. My condolences.

Sabne Raznik

Sorcha said...

Hi--came upon your page after typing my father's name into Google. I always enjoyed hearing other people's perspectives of him. Your recollection made me smile.
Thanks.
Cheers,
Emer