Thursday, June 5, 2014

How to say I love you


A red, red rose
by Robbie Burns

O my Luve's like a red, red rose
 That’s newly sprung in June;
 O my Luve's like the melodie
 That’s sweetly play'd in tune.

 As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
 So deep in luve am I:
 And I will luve thee still, my dear,
 Till a’ the seas gang dry: 

 Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear,
 And the rocks melt wi’ the sun:
 I will luve thee still, my dear,
 While the sands o’ life shall run. 

 And fare thee well, my only Luve
 And fare thee well, a while!
 And I will come again, my Luve,
 Tho’ it were ten thousand mile. 

             It would be near impossible to express love more beautifully or more movingly than Burns’ second and third stanzas. Read them out loud and slowly. Better still sing them. This version with Eddi Reader and Alan Kelly is just gorgeous. What a stunning voice she has, and his playing is exquisite.
             I went to see them and the rest of the band some months back. They put on a fantastic show, one of the most enjoyable gigs I’ve ever been to. So, what I'm saying is, if you get the chance........................Of course, I should point out that Alan Kelly is a Roscommon man.
 

1 comment:

Sabne Raznik said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L68UUv4Bw-M