Monday, February 19, 2018

On Leinster Road


Warm, languorous Summer’s afternoon;
chestnuts in full bloom,
students chatting on the steps,
sipping cans of beer.
A man-roar up ahead, then again;
my alarm beeps.

Now, I see him,
purple-faced, wild-eyed;
bawling at a girl on the other side.
Beep beep. Entering his range;
now intruding onto the outer ring
of his target.

White.
Harmless; just passing.
Blue.
‘Passing passing passing.’
Red.
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

He reads my fear,
his anger flares.
“Cunt.... fucking bastard....... shower of.......”
Furious summer sun
staring through a lens:
I catch fire.

Later, recovering an afternoon that was:
beautiful May, magnificence of early summer,      .
chesnuts in bloom,
students chatting on the steps;
I find charred remains
that keep flap flap flapping. 

No comments: