Friday, June 6, 2008

Johnson's Cabinet Still Full

“I believe that this War, upon which I entered as a war of defence and liberation, has now become a war of aggression and conquest…………………………………………………

I have seen and endured the sufferings of the troops, and I can no longer be a party to prolonging those sufferings for ends which I believe to be evil and unjust.

I am not protesting against the military conduct of the War, but against the political errors and insincerities for which the fighting men are being sacrificed………………...………”

Words written by Siegfried Sassoon in his “A Soldier’s Declaration”, a statement he penned as “an act of willful defiance of military authority”. How tired would he be by now of the “political errors and insincerities” that continuously stream through the media and which have cost the lives of millions since his death in 1967.

Mention of this reminds me of Robert Bly’s “Johnson’s Cabinet Watched by Ants”; it can be read at http://encarta.msn.com/sidebar_1741502525/johnson%E2%80%99s_cabinet_watched_by_ants_by_robert_bly.html

No comments: