Friday, August 29, 2014

When all the world was young


            Oh for the days of childhood, when the sun was always in the sky, ice-creams came in wafers, we skated on the pond all winter long, men whistled on the way to work, Christmases were  knee-deep in snow and the neighbours invited you in for orange squash and bikkies. Nightime was curl up cosy in front of the blazing turf fire. Oh dear, if only!               
 
 
 
                            Eleven

 
          I am eleven;
my eyes are overflowing with light
from the spangling stream,
ears brimming with its chattering
sprays and runs,
my back lush with the magnificence 
of  Summer sun. 
 

I am in a field of cowslips,
the colour butter ought to be;
in the distance a bell is chiming
but I have no duties.
I’m lying on my stomach on a wooden bridge,
my eyelids shut, my fingers fishing for splinters.
 

No comments: