Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Did you dress up for Halloween


 
My answer is  always no. It must go back to my childhood, maybe Halloween scares; I’ve never been fond of fancy dress and masks. They make me uneasy, and I don’t particularly like not being able to see faces.
The poems below are from ‘Felos aínda serra’ (AMASTRA-N-GALAR, 2004), and were inspired by photographs of felos ,  carnaval maskers ,taken by Emilio Araúxo in Galicia.
The chapbook, with wonderful illustrations by Charlie Cullen,is one of a series penned by poets from around the world. It consists of 10 short poems translated into Galician, my English originals are  below each. The whole publication can be viewed at  http://issuu.com/felosdemaceda/docs/felos_ainda_serra ; the others in the series are also available for viewing, see http://www.blogoteca.com/felosdemaceda/index.php?cat=13440 . Great credit and congratulations are due to Emilio for publishing these very attractive booklets, and making them available to all.
 
 
 
 
 
8.

“There.
  There.
  In the holes.
  Eyes watching you.” 

“Yes.
  Yes.
  I see them.
  In the holes.
  Watching
  me.”

 10.

He lifted his hand to his mask;
his hand: skin and knuckles and frailty. 

Someone humorously put frailty into the face;
The hand magnifies it.

No comments: