1. The party leader during prolonged applause should let his/her gaze travel along the balcony, whether there is or is not a balcony. In the latter case, the gaze should be pitched at an angle of elevation of approx. 35 degrees.
2. The greater statesperson is instantly recognizable by his/her being first to extend an arm to usher the other into position when the event is being televised.
3. The greater statesperson is instantly recognizable by his/her being first to extend a finger to point to something in the sky when the event is being televised. (This might be a cloud shaped like a pigeon or Italy.)
4. At election time the leader of a Irish party must walk through Ballyfermot in particular formation. The preferred is shown below.
A variation on this, which has been much used in the particular instance of whistle-blowers making public statements is shown below.
5. When the party leader is making a statement which is to be screened on the main evening news, it is imperative that he/she employ a small group of Father Dougal wannabes to form a semi-circle behind him/her. This group receives basic training in head-nodding, while one member of the group receives additional instruction in looking to the left.
6. In the interview situation, the effective politician must always anticipate. At the earliest indication of an unwelcome thread in the questioning, he/she must be prepared to recite large portions of Milton’s ‘Paradise Lost’. Versatility is essential, on other occasions it may be more appropriate to deconstruct the plotline of ‘Sleeping Beauty’ or sing a little Tom Waits.
7. In the interview situation, there is no need for the politician to answer the question posited as long as the answer addresses a topic which rhymes with the original e.g. brown envelope, brown antelope; water charges, otter miscarriages.
8. This final point is obvious but important. The number of women in a cabinet has a minimum threshold that must be observed, however this number must be kept at this minimum. The reason is basic, overt coloration in clothing can sink, not just the individual, but the entire party.