Friday, September 9, 2016

The Tide's High Blood Mark

  
                 (Before The Firing Squad)



Ready
           

            The sun's tide
            is licking me.

           

Aim


            In one eye-full I have examined every brick,
            seen the crack in that window,     
       `   the wasp on the flag
            and still felt the sun
            and heard the voice right down
            to a bubble on his vocal cords.                                        



Fire


            The sun travelled its 93 million miles.
            Threw my shadow against the bricks.
            My shadow stretched
            My shadow stretched
            My shadow stretched
            And the sun said
            That my shadow was as tall and slender
            As any wave that ever rose
            That ever rose out of the full tide
            Climbed and stretched its arms
            Over the bricks of this barracks wall.

No comments: