Saturday, October 9, 2021

Nightie Night

 

I turned on my side, shadows moved between the wardrobe

and the ceiling, and over in the corner near the door. I closed

my eyes. Main Street was in the pours, its shops streaming down

the car windows, neon flashes, on and off, our faces dim

as 30watt bulbs, on off, on off, the car a prison of rain drumming

bad temper into our ears, and shapes of people fleeing both sides

of the street, like we too should be getting away, moving somewhere.

I opened my eyes to see Jesus in the wallpaper and closed my eyes

as quickly not to see Him, behind my eyelids a legion of angels

descended in iodine-coloured light from where coal-black clouds

had opened Heaven onto the earth. Open again, the lights of a car

travelled across the room, and left it blacker; where, I wondered,

                     can cars go in the pitch black night?

No comments: