Wednesday, March 15, 2023

A wet day

 

I stay inside,

inside myself.


Raindrops leave

perfect rings on the sand;


BB King sings

with his lips in a perfect o


but that’s not

what I want to say.


A child never spoke,

not in a year


except once

to say no.


I thought about that

and surmised


his parents

had left him short.


Rain magnifies

the grey of clouds.


The electric wires

sag;


yes, and on days like this

I remember.


What I remember most:

a gable end


when a window was

my world.


That boy never smiled,

not once that year.


Green, vibrant in rain,

but  chilly,


encages

but seems infinite.


The oyster catchers move along

but nothing changes;


I drop the magazine

pick up the laptop


and the rain

pressing harder against the window;


I will read the magazine;

he refuses to look up.


No comments: