Friday, March 8, 2024

Behind the Glass

This poem has been with me for years in one shape or another. I've posted more than one effort in the  past, but was never convinced. All versions go on display, but, like a photographer's work, there'll always be one photograph that has the edge; I think this has the atmosphere I've been searching for. There's a good chance I won't look back at this for a while in case I meet disappointment. Come another book though, I'll have to weigh it up.


Behind the Glass


Every day, sitting at her window,

looking out onto the street of her life,


empty now.


Her face, just her face, hanging

behind the glass;


a room untroubled by sunlight;


the darkness of a Rembrandt portrait

and wearing old age like a mask.


She's waiting for the street’s stories


but the street has nothing to say;

she continues, daily


 staring into the space where her life was.

No comments: