Sunday, May 3, 2020

Late Afternoon in a Different Time


Late Afternoon


The sky was ablaze with gorse,
I played hide and seek on the tracks between

till a high wind tired of that, so I took the boat out onto the lake,
went fishing for pike.

Countries changed into dogs, bears, ugly guys with misplaced noses;
I looked at the hills, they were wreathed in white thorn,

then turning onto my stomach, I let the sun lie on my back
while I read a little, Treasure Island.

The swallows were wheeling over Wyoming canyons;
I shifted in my rocky lair, but could see no indians coming;

there was a stirring under the palm tree,
and a spider walked up my arm, I watched him for awhile;

he had made a scrawny web of Italy so I blew on him
and the sun moved toward five.

I could see the burst football was not about to play,
so I poked my finger into the blue and looked at it with one eye shut;

the sun was a scorching white ball that no one could look at directly;
I mopped the sweat from my forehead and drained my canteen dry,

then turned onto my side. There were blossoms on the apple trees
and a voice like metal came through the privet hedge.

The voice was calling tea-time; a familiar voice to be sure,
but an escapee from another sky.


No comments: