Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Faraway Dreams.

 Another rewrite. One of the advantages of publication in book form is the poems are put to rest, finished or not. I think poems about longings are particularly hard to finish; longings for one thing might well be a manifestation of a deeper longing for something else, and they change in their insistence from one moment to the next. The other side of the coin is that that changeability may be the spark for numerous poems. 

                                        

                                    Tokyo


The puddle is Tokyo;

I’m standing in my rain-proofs

looking down on Tokyo,


watching rain like metal

splinters falling on the city,

and the same thing


that’s making me happy

is making me sad:

an ephemeral beauty,


city of rain and streetlights,

a dazzling in the murk of the night

of something somewhere faraway.

No comments: