Friday, April 22, 2022

Reaching for my Rucksack

 No holidays since 2019. I’m spending more and more time wanting to see new sights. I want to be dazzled again. So many places! Considering my reluctance to fly, near Europe is looking particularly attractive, and, of those countries, Portugal is the one least travelled to date.

I’m not a beach dweller; I get bored. What I do love is visiting Neolithic, medieval, Roman, early Christian, Pre-Christian, you get it, sites. Churches, ruined castles, palaces, archaeological digs, bridges, towers, wells, bells etc. I have difficulty passing any of them; something to be seen that I haven’t, it irks me.

Back to Portugal. Though it doesn’t have anything like the number of World Heritage Sites to be found in neighbouring Spain, France or Germany; it does have 14 that are quite close to each other and constitute a very doable touring route around the northern two thirds of the country, with Braga the most northerly site and Evora the most southerly.

Starting at Lisbon, heading north via Sintra, Coimbra, Porto onto Braga and returning via the Douro wine-making region, dipping into Spain to include three destinations there, and heading on south via Elvas, Evora back to Lisbon.

17 World Heritage Sites easily included inside two weeks. On the way, I’ll have seen Neolithic, medieval, Roman, early Christian, Pre-Christian sites: churches, ruined castles, palaces, archaeological digs, bridges, towers, wells, bells etc.

Sorted then and happy to resume my couch overlooking Donegal Bay.

No comments: